You are here
PortaMill PM14 Chainsaw Sawmill
Convert your logs into valuable lumber with your chainsaw*, a ladder and the Norwood PortaMill. It’s the perfect sawmill if –
- Your sawmilling needs are occasional.
- You need to mill in very remote locations.
- You need to move your sawmill by ATV, small car, boat or airplane.
- You have limited storage space.
With the PortaMill, use your chainsaw* as the sawhead and your household extension ladder as the track.
- Mill hardwood and softwood logs up to 14” (35cm) in diameter.*
- Cut square beams and dimensional lumber up to 8” wide … 2 x 4’s, 4 x 4’s, 2 x 6’s, 6 x 6’s …
Here’s how –
1. Clamp your log in place: Use the log rests and adjustable log dogs.
2. Choose your cutting depth: Turn the crank handle to smoothly raise and lower the chainsaw.
3. Make your cut: Engage the handle-mounted throttle and advance the saw along the track.
You probably already have a chainsaw and ladder in your garage right now. What projects could you do if you had your own sawmill?
U.S. Patent App. No.: 11/398,221
Canada Patent App. No: 2,541,734
Chainsaw and ladder not included.
* For small to mid-sized logs (below 10 inches (25cm) in diameter), chainsaws of 50cc or greater, equipped with ripping chain, are usually sufficient.
* For mid-sized to larger logs (10 - 14 inches (25cm - 35cm) in diameter), chainsaws of 65cc or greater, equipped with ripping chain, are recommended.
Photos show PortaMill equipped with optional auxiliary chain and bar oiler kit.
Super Portable – The PortaMill is entirely quick-connect/quick-disconnect and takes just minutes to set up. Components are easy to carry, easy to transport and easy to store.
Real Sawmill Function – The PortaMill works just like a real portable sawmill. The log stays stationary, while the sawhead passes along its length, slicing boards at the height that you choose. Unlike other chainsaw sawmills, there is no time-consuming and fussy rigging or clamping of any brackets to each log.
Smooth Sawhead Action – Smooth operation of the sawhead crank handle precisely adjusts the sawhead height – Clockwise to raise the sawhead, counter-clockwise to lower the sawhead. Once you’ve set the sawhead height, the locking handle securely locks it in place.
Log Clamping – The PortaMill comes standard with two log rest/log dog assemblies for fast dogging and positive locking. Also feature back dogs for easy clamping of beams, cants and boards.
Patented Throttle Actuator – The actuator connects the chainsaw’s throttle to a convenient handle-mounted throttle control – permits easy activation of the chainsaw throttle at the push handle. Patented mechanism fits all chainsaws.
Operator Comfort – Adjustable push handle for operator comfort. Patented linkage connects the chainsaw’s throttle to a convenient handle-mounted throttle control – squeeze to saw – release for idle.
Professional “Quarter-Scale” – Precisely mill 2” or 1” lumber thanks to the same kind of professional depth-of-cut scale you’d find on band sawmills. The 5/16th kerf is already calculated in.
Sawbar and Chain Guard – Helps guard sawbars up to 20” long.
Track Sweepers – Built-in track sweepers next to each carriage wheel remove sawdust and debris from the track for smooth rolling action.
Endstops – Safety feature helps prevent run-off of saw carriage.
Adjustable Outrigger Arm – The PortaMill carriage platform adjusts to fit virtually any extension ladder width. The adjustable outrigger arm is equipped with two track sweepers and a quick connect/quick-disconnect wheel keeper.
Ladder Anchors – Ladder anchors connect the log dog/log rest assembly platforms to the ladder for solid track set-up. Quick connect/quick-disconnect knobs for easy, no tools set-up.
Step-by-Step Manual – To ensure that you receive the best possible value, Norwood ships the PortaMill in knock-down form with step-by-step instructions and detailed illustrations, exploded views and photos.
- 14 inches (35 cm)*
- 8 inches (20 cm)
- Dependant on ladder length
- Customer supplied chainsaw
- (Minimumm >50cc for small-mid-sized logs)
- (Minimumm >65cc for mid-large-sized logs)
- Dependant on ladder length
- Customer-supplied ripping chain
- 2" , 1" and user scale